Join the HERO team
HERO, Healthcare Equipment Recycling Organization is a grassroots non-profit that has local and global reach. HERO’s mission is to collect and redistribute donated healthcare materials to benefit those in need. We invite you to consider interning with HERO.
Summer internship positions are being created. Please check back soon for more information.
What will you receive?
All internships are unpaid, but they are an exceptional opportunity to gain experience. We can work with your institution to give you academic credit.
We’ll provide you with HERO training and on-going opportunities throughout the Fargo-Moorhead area for training when available.
Past Interns: In total, they have given 1,483.25 hours of their time.
“HERO has taught me a lot about how to help people in need, while protecting the environment. It has humbled me to watch how much it means to people to get something as simple as a wheelchair or bath chair. As a future physician, this was a priceless experience to see health care from the side of a patient being confronted with the high costs of medical equipment and supplies.”
- Rachel, General Intern
- Created 2010 Annual Report, brochures, and volunteer access document
- Wrote HERO summary and timeline
- Helped with 7th Annual HERO Bash and created power point slide show
- Anthony, Philanthropy and Youth Intern
- Developed a system for donation/collection boxes to be distributed throughout our region
- Made contacts with churches, individuals, and businesses to get the donation boxes made
- Assisted in the HERO retail store and at events
“It was meaningful to me as I learned the healthcare administrative duties. Most importantly, I got the chance to attend meetings and make professional connections. I love what HERO does. Whenever I worked at the front desk, I got so many thank you’s. I felt happy to be a part of HERO as an intern.”
-Sanju, Healthcare Administration Intern
- Provided administrative assistance to executive director
- Conducted research for branding, trademarking, and marketing our expansion
- Represented HERO at expos and worked in the retail store
“I feel that the organization provides a very valuable service to the community. It was also an enjoyable atmosphere in which to work. The internship was a great learning experience and I suppose the thing I most appreciated was the opportunity to test my skills in a place outside the classroom.”
-Eric, Marketing/Journalism Intern
- Wrote copy for the newsletter and a press release
- Created invitations to HERO open house and a brochure
- Assisted with promotional materials and software on the computer
“I loved creating the report [Environmental Impact Report]. It was a great experience to research, compile, and create it. I truly felt like I added something great to HERO.”
-Brittany, Environmental Studies Intern (2 Semesters)
- Created the Internship Handbook
- Compiled an environmental impact research report
- Promoted HERO’s impact of recycling through redistribution by presenting her research in a fun way to students
-Steph Paulson, Special Events Intern (2 Semesters)
- Helped organize and promote the 2012 Time for You Women’s Retreat
- Was a team leader for Giving Hearts Day 2013